... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Friday, March 16, 2007

Initial impressions: Andy Barker P.I.

Last night, NBC offered up its first serving of two new shows, Andy Barker P.I. (a sitcom starring Andy Richter and EP'd by his old boss, Conan O'Brien) and Raines (a quirky cop show with Jeff Goldblum). First, ...ASAT will take a look at Barker, with a review of Raines coming soon.

As a long time fan of O'Brien, Richter, and co-star Tony Hale (Buster Bluth on Arrested Development), I have to admit that I have been pumped about its premier for months now. I had been greatly disappointed that NBC had repeatedly pushed back the show's debut until giving the show its late season push.

Well, it was worth the wait. The pilot was penned by O'Brien himself, and his comedic fingerprints are all over the show. The premise is somewhat complicated (at least for a sitcom). Richter plays the title character, a CPA who finds work hard to come. Borrowing heavily from the plot of Chinatown (they even discuss the similarities in the episode), Barker is drawn into the world of sleuthing when a mysterious blonde mistakes him for a private dick (the previous occupant of his office was a PI) and offers him 4 large to find her "husband." Needing the money, he takes the case with the help of Hale, who plays a film geek that owns a video store in the same strip mall as Barker's office.

I won't divulge too much more of the plot and would instead direct you to NBC's website to watch for yourself. You will be glad that you did.

My only beef is that they took 30 Rock (an ...ASAT favorite) off of the air for a few weeks to show Barker. Both are smart, well-written and (most importantly) free of laugh tracks. Since Scrubs seems poised to jump to ABC next season, I hope that NBC picks up Barker to add to its Thursday night comedy block along with Rock, Earl, and The Office, which is my personal favorite night of TV right now.

I am also concerned about NBC putting all of the episodes on the Internet. Hopefully this is to promote the show and not garbage dump theatre.

Check back later for my take on Raines.
.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

I unfortunately deleted you last comment...or blogger did...not sure which. But I did get it.

Feel free to link away! Gad you enjoyed reading!

Friday, March 16, 2007  
Blogger The Film Geek said...

I'm really excited to see Richter back on TV. I've loved everything the guy does.

And, thanks for the nod. That was fun.

Monday, March 19, 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home