... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Initial impressions: Raines

In addition to Andy Barker P.I., NBC also gave us another new series to enjoy (or not) last Thursday: Raines, a vehicle for Jeff Goldblum.

When I first saw the previews for Raines, two thoughts about the show immediately thwacked me in the head. First I thought that it was going to essentially what would result if House M.D., was a homicide detective show and knocked up Ghost Whisperer. Then after the showed the quick slide show of Jeff Goldblum at his most Jeff Goldblumiest, I thought to myself "oh, this is Jeff Goldblum as Jeff Goldblum in The Jeff Goldblum Show.

Well, i was kinda right in both regards, but not really.

First of all, the similarities with Dr. House end with Goldblum's character being 1) kind of difficult and 2) really good at his job. The Ghost Whisperer comparison goes right out the window, too, as the dead people that talk to him are figments of his imagination (and, quite frankly, Jennifer Love Hewitt has much much nicer breasts than The Fly).

Also, Goldblum isn't as the same wacky-yet-likable guy that he is when dropping by the late night talk shows. Instead, he is less wacky than slightly whacked-out, but still entirely likable.

In terms of supporting cast, the show also features Nicole Sullivan, the only person/thing that I ever liked on or about MADtv. Her character does a good job wrangling Detective Raines. It is good to see her back on the air after last season's almost universally forgotten ABC train wreck, Hot Properties.

Overall, it seems quirky enough to work (as long as it can stay fresh) and was a nice break from ER, which has essentially become Uncle Jessie M.D.

Not quite must-see, but I will give it a look again in the future and would recommend it to everyone that thought"hey, that looks pretty cool."
.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

Yeah, I thought it kind of a cross between Monk and The Medium. Not that I watch either of those...but you get the point.

I'm partial to Jeff Goldblum anyway...and I think he's the saving grace of this show. He shouldn't run on camera though. He runs like a girl.

Sorry about the deleted post. It had a typo. And now I'm paying for it with a nearly impossible verification word....

Saturday, March 17, 2007  
Blogger Chris James said...

Monk and Medium is a good analysis. I think I just wanted to talk about JLH.

Saturday, March 17, 2007  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Yeah, I made the mistake of following that link!

I will pay you back by blogging about Uncle Jesse and linking hot doc pics.

Saturday, March 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home