... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Now they are just going too far...

It appears that an unholy alliance of nutritionists and anti-commercialization activists have teamed up to denounce my personal favorite literacy program, Book It!.

To those that do not know, Book It! is sponsored by Pizza Hut and sort of acts as a mechanism to bribe elementary school children into reading. It's pretty simple: if you read a book, you get a free personal pan pizza.

OK, I hear what the critics are saying and what you may be thinking: this looks like a tool for an MNC to market their unhealthy food to children. But my logic for supporting the program is twofold.

First of all, it worked for me. I was a bright kid, but I probably had what would now be diagnosed as a mild case of ADHD and boy did I hate to read. Nothing my parents or teachers tired would get me to read anything longer than a newspaper article. Nothing until Book It!. Yea, it was a bribe, but it worked. Without it, I might be blogging about how awesome Dane Cook is instead of pointless events in a small geographic region for an audience of dozens (barely plural).

Secondly, growing up in said small geographic region (West Virginia), I saw poverty. I had friends that were only assured of 360 meals per year (school breakfast & lunch X 180 school days). To those kids, Book It! gave them a few more meals per year and to them it was something of a luxury to get Pizza Hut, a treat they may otherwise get only once or twice per year. As you could imagine, if the free personal pan got my middle class butt to read, imagine what it did for their desire to read (some of those kids have college degrees now, for what it's worth).

I'm not saying that Book It! is a good fit for Greenwich, Connecticut or Huber Heights, Ohio, but in places like West Virginia, I suspect the perks outweigh the cons.
.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger jedi jawa said...

That was well said and a good post.

Monday, March 05, 2007  
Blogger Chris James said...

Thanks.

In the name of full disclosure I should point out that Pizza Hut pizza is one of the few foods that rival M & M Dairy Bell's hot dogs and Tudor's Mary B biscuits on the Chris James Best Food Ever scale.

Thursday, March 08, 2007  
Blogger jedi jawa said...

Tudor's Biscuit World ... you know you're in WV when you see a Tudors ... ever five miles!

Aren't they the best?

Thursday, March 08, 2007  
Blogger Chris James said...

The McDonalds on Hal Greer only puts "two half strips" (ie one strip) of bacon on their McGriddles for the same price as a bacon-loaded Mary B at Tudor's a few blocks away.

Try 'n guess who has longer lines in the morning....

Thursday, March 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home