... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Thursday, May 31, 2007

I'm thinkin' Rax, actually.

If you were lucky enough to have lived in West Virginia between 1985 and 2002, give or take a couple of years, you are one of the select few that know that Arby's ain't the best place to get a fast food roast beef sam'mich. No, that honor belongs to Rax Roast Beef. Or at least it did, before Rax slashed the number of franchises and almost completely retreated from the 304.

Hell, I thought that they all went out of business. But, after some searching online, it turns out that there is one still in the Ashland Town Center, about 30-40 minutes from Huntington.

I happened to be over at the ATC last weekend and, despite not being that hungry, jumped on the chance to grab something. If I had been starved, I would have kicked it oldskewl and grabbed a BBC. For those not clued in, here is what you need to know about the BBC: like its identically named broadcasting counterpart, it is the global standard of accomplishment in its given field. Rax piles on roast beef, bacon, and cheddar that, when squirted with a packet or two, is about as good as food can get for under $5.

Unfortunately, I had just eaten before leaving the house and could not give a BBC the respect and attention to which such a beautiful sandwich is entitled. Instead, I paid $1.38 for this Rax Jr. Roast Beef. Sadly, Rax no longer has its own branded bbq sauce and now uses those generic food service packets that you see in gas stations and cafeterias. It wasn't as good as I remembered, but it was still better than other places with roast beef products.
.
When thrown in with Skyline Chili in Russell and the Tim Horton's that is just south of downtown, I now have three good reasons to head west for weekend lunches and dinners.
Update: as of Feb '08, the Rax in the ATC has closed down. However, there is still a location in Ironton and there may be more opening in the area in the future.

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger JDB said...

There was a Rax in Morgantown that held out a lot longer than most of the WV stores. I hadn't thought about it in eons!

Wednesday, May 30, 2007  
Blogger The Film Geek said...

Rax rocked! And their fries were great, too.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007  
Blogger Chris James said...

We had a Rax on 5th Ave until a few years ago. In college I would drag my friends from other states to there, much to their dismay (it was kind of a dump). the noable excpetion is nomad, as he has always been down with the BBC.

Thursday, May 31, 2007  
Blogger Silverback said...

Only ever had an Arby's once and didn't care for it but of course I didn't slap on the condiments so I basically had some slices of beef on a dry bun. Not very appetising.

I love the idea of you taking a photo inside this Rax place though. The staff probably thought you were a Michael Moore type investigator.

And as for roast beef without Yorkshire Pudding(s), well it's just barbaric.

Thursday, May 31, 2007  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Ohhh, now I'm hungry. The BBC was my favorite of all time! I love that thing. The Arby's that I'm stuck with now is a sad substitute. In fact, Rax was the high point of the entire year I spend in Huntington.

Thursday, May 31, 2007  
Blogger Chris James said...

I suspect that the Ashland Rax may be my Father's Day restaurant choice.

BBCs beat crappy ties any day.

Thursday, May 31, 2007  
Blogger Jackie Lantern said...

Great post Chris!

Anybody remember that wierd Rax marketing campaign with the Bob Dobbs-type guy pushing roast beef and words of wisdom? I loved it but just can't remember the guys name!!

Friday, June 01, 2007  
Blogger Chris James said...

Jackie: not offhand, but I'll keep trolling YouTube for it until someone posts a copy.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home