... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Flat iron steak: now that's what's for dinner...


I've been watching a lot of BBQ University on Create TV and PBS HD and one of the coolest things that the show has turned me on to is flat iron steak.

Some smart folks at the University of Nebraska found that removing some connective tissue from the top blade roasts produces the second most tender cut of beef (behind the tenderloin) for a fraction of the cost of fillet.

I seasoned my raw steak with sea salt and freshly ground pepper and popped it in the George Foreman (which seared in the juices) with some Vidalias and cooked it to medium.

I then sliced it against the grain into cutlets and served with an au jus made from the run-off from slicing, Worcestershire sauce, red wine, and whole grain mustard. My wife loved the dipping sauce, as did I, but I thought the beef was tasty enough to not really need any additional flavoring or moisture.

My wife and I then enjoyed a fine steakhouse quality meal for about $2 each.

Not too shabby.
.

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris James said...

I was messing with the settings and I seem to have deleted the comments.

Here was the jist of things:

All Click thinks that Americans eat their beef waaay too raw.

Stanton thinks the onions look like worms and we trade ad hominems from the vocab of Beavis and Butthead.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007  
Blogger Stanton said...

They do like like worms, dillhole.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007  
Blogger JDB said...

Stanton's right, turd burgaler.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007  
Blogger Chris James said...

Food photography is, like, hard.


uhuhuhuhuhh I said "hard."

hemehemehm

Turdburglars.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007  
Blogger Jackie Lantern said...

Hey Chris- You could do a "Turdburglar of the Week" segment!

Wednesday, July 18, 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home