... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Thursday, August 02, 2007

...ASAT's Fake Emmy Ballot: Guest Actors

Despite my one appearance in a man-on-the-street interview on WOWK in the late 90s, the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences keeps forgetting to mail me my Emmy Award ballot. No worries, in the run-up to the Emmys on Sept. 16, I will be posting chunks of my ballot here every few days or so just in case any of my dozens of accidental readers are big-wigs with the Academy.

First up, Guest Actors and Actresses (BTW, why differentiate? Would the WV Bar Assc. give a "Best Girl Lawyer" award?):

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series
* Christian Clemenson for playing Jerry Espenson on Boston Legal
* Forest Whitaker for playing Curtis Ames on ER
* David Morse for playing Michael Tritter on House
* Eli Wallach for playing Eli Weintraub on Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
* John Goodman for playing Judge Robert Bebe on Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
* Tim Daly for playing J.T. Dolan on The Sopranos

I'm probably going to vote for John Goodman for any award, any time (just wait 'til you see my Fake Nobel Prize ballot). He brought the same hard-but-likable shtick that has made him the finest working American character actor to his roll as a tough-but-fair Nevada judge who was called away from a fishing trip by he Governor in order to sort out a legal mess for an S60 cast member. Morse would be my second choice. As for the others, Whitaker was unimpressive on ER, Boston Legal sucks, Wallach is only nominated 'cause he is in his 90s, and I'm still holding 8 seasons of Wings against Daly (note: Weber and Church have been forgiven).

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series
* Martin Landau for playing Bob Ryan on Entourage
* Ian McKellen for playing himself on Extras
* Stanley Tucci for playing David Ruskin on Monk
* Beau Bridges for playing Carl Hickey on My Name is Earl
* Giovanni Ribisi for playing Ralph Mariano on My Name is Earl

Despite threats from my dark galactic lord, Xenu, about voting for him, Ribisi was awesome as Earl's bad influence and deserves the nod. I always say that anyone who grew up in Appalachia can relate to at least one character on Earl, and, for me, I knew about 5 Ralphs while growing up. I'd honestly be OK with any of the others winning, too, as all are bad-ass in the acting dept.

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series
* Jean Smart for playing Martha Logan on 24
* Kate Burton for playing Ellis Grey on Grey's Anatomy
* Elizabeth Reaser for playing Jane Doe on Grey's Anatomy
* Leslie Caron for playing Lorraine Chalmers on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
* Marcia Gay Harden for playing Star Morrison on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit

I've been a fan of Oscar-winner Harden since the short-lived The Education of Max Bickford, a terrific drama that had the misfortune of debuting in the wake of 9-11, when no one wanted quality leftish, academicy TV drama. On SVU she was solid as an undercover cop in a white supremacist group. Look for her to become a regular on the show is a cast member leaves in the future. As for the others, I do not remember Caron's character and I cannot stand anything about either 24 or Grey's, so I ain't votin' for anything related to those shows.

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series
* Elaine Stritch for playing Colleen Donaghy on 30 Rock
* Dixie Carter for playing Gloria Hodge on Desperate Housewives
* Laurie Metcalf for playing Carolyn Bigsby on Desperate Housewives
* Judith Light for playing Claire Meade on Ugly Betty
* Salma Hayek for playing Sofia Reyes on Ugly Betty

'Cause of this scene.
.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Spike Nesmith said...

How about outstanding actor in a comedy series? I hated friends and it always seemed in movies that he was trying to be the poor man's Jim Carrey, but i was VERY pleasantly surprised by Matthew Perry's performance in Studio 60. It was full of perfect pauses and tiny little subtleties. I gather he was just as great on The West Wing, but I never saw that.

What thinkest thou?

Friday, August 03, 2007  
Blogger Chris James said...

I'll get around to my fake vote on the real noms in bigger award categories as we get closer to the Emmys.

As for Perry, I thought that he and Whitford were the highlights of a show marred with so-so writing and a lackluster supporting cast. I prefer Perry in dramas and I jope he can get on board of a quality show sometime soon.

Friday, August 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home