... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Friday, October 12, 2007

Bill Richardson, for what it is worth

As a Democrat in West Virginia, both the state and national party leadership have made it perfectly clear to me that they do not give a rat's ass about my opinion over who should be our 2008 (or any other year, for that matter) presidential nominee. By the time we vote in May, the race has always been loooooong decided (save 1960). Still, sometimes I like to play pretend that my voice means as much as any other registered American voter, so I have actually paid attention to the primaries this year in order to find out who the good folks of Iowa and New Hampshire will pick for us this year.

One guy that is starting to stand out is Bill Richardson. I know, I know, he isn't going to win. Hillary and Obama have money machines in place that will plow through the field like a fresh mule. That is kind of a shame, 'cause Richardson actually, um, has ideas that have, you know, been articulated, as opposed to running on a cult of personality. Plus, while most of the candidates have had Senate careers of varying lengths, Richardson has served all over the place in both executive and legislative rolls. This is demonstrated in these catchy new adverts that have been showing in Iowa:



This post should not be taken as an endorsement of Richardson by any means, especially since, as a West Virginian, no one is really asking what I think anyway. But before you folks in states that matter cast your vote, give this guy careful consideration before you automatically vote for one of the rock stars. Even if he can't pull out the top slot on the ticket, he might make one helluva Veep choice, especially with the GOP doing its damnedest to alienate the Hispanic vote.

I guess the moral of the this post is that you should by all means vote for Clinton or Obama if you do the research on them and find that one of them is the candidate who you feel best addresses your concerns as a voter. Either one of them, in my opinion, will make a fine President. Just make sure not to overlook a great leader with a smaller bank account.
.

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Muze Euterpe said...

Funny, I got a call from the RNC today. They started talking about needing to have funds for the 'Republican nominee.' I stopped the girl and asked her who the 'nominee' is. She stuttered and made some comment about candidates.

I said, 'You're about to ask me for money for the NOMINEE, but there isn't one yet.

I asked her who the conservatives were going to be on the slate. She said 'Well, there's Giliani and Romney and ..." I stopped her there and told her there weren't any conservatives being presented and they aren't getting a dime until I see one.

She muttered something about Thompson and I reminded her he only announced the other day and there's still a lot to learn about him.

She ended the call. LOL

Friday, October 12, 2007  
Anonymous Hoyt said...

If we're going by the "cult of personality" to elect "rock stars," then I've long suggested using a reality television format to winnow the candidates. Let's combine "Big Brother," "Survivor," "The Apprentice" and throw in a little "Real World" and see how it goes!

Friday, October 12, 2007  
Blogger JDB said...

Maybe "Kid Nation" would be more appropriate, Hoyt? :-)

Saturday, October 13, 2007  
Anonymous Capcitykitty said...

I like Bill a lot. Maybe he'll be like Dean and build slowly until he's the front runner. (And maybe George Bush will pull out of Iraq next month.)

Anyway, there's another Bill I like and maybe he'll be in the White House again. You've got to like a 2-for-1 deal.

Monday, October 15, 2007  
Blogger Elvis Drinkmo said...

Hoyt's got the right idea except that I would go a little more low-brow than that.

We need to have WWE style wrestling matches- complete with friends jumping into the ring to help friends and chairs slamming into peoples' heads. After a few cage matches, American voters could then decide which candidate is most suited to represent them in the white house.

Monday, October 15, 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home