... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Beaujolais

I've been diggin' Georges Deboeuf's Beajoulais-villages and Beajoulais nouveau wines lately. For those unfamiliar with the style, it is a rather light and unpretentious French red wine that goes well with any number for meats, cheeses, and pasta and, unlike other table wines like Chianti, is great to drink all by its little self. The wine can be enjoyed by non-drinkers, casual drinkers, and some wine connoisseurs (but not all, I'll get to that in a sec).

Best of all, however, is the price. I've never paid more than $10 for a bottle, which is great for us upper lower middle sorts. Granted, as is the case with most things that are inexpensive and, dare I say, actually taste good, some snobs will turn their noses up at the stuff, calling it things like "cheap populist swill" and whatnot. Since these are exactly the sort of douchebags who convinced me to pursue a career in neither business management nor academia, that just doubles my fun.

Mind you, not all of the wine crowd feels this way. My Godfather is one of the most knowledgeable folks in terms of all-things-vino in Charleston and he regularly gives cases of this stuff as Xmas gifts. So, yes, you can indeed be hip, tasteful, and frugal and still enjoy decent wine.

So drink, I say. Drink to your health. Drink to your tongue. Drink to your pocketbook. Drink Beaujolais.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Evil Twin's Wife said...

Not all of us are Rockefellers who can afford a $10 bottle of wine! LOL. I like the box o' swill. 5 litres for around $13 is more my style. LOL.

Monday, November 26, 2007  
Blogger Chris James said...

Well, I usually drop about $6 a bottle about twice a month or so.

That keeps me from having to pay too much to occasionally talk too much and get a big headache.

Monday, November 26, 2007  
Blogger Blonde Goddess said...

We buy more expensive wine for the special occasions but do like to go to the Farmer's Market and check out the Terrific Tens rack for something new to try out. My husband prefers sweeter white wines, while I love the richer, bolder reds.
It's tough for us to reach a compromise...

Monday, November 26, 2007  
Blogger Buzzardbilly said...

While I don't drink (wrote about that on the blog), I'm all for anything that bugs a snob.

Monday, November 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home