... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Curry in a hurry

Jonesin' some curry but too lazy/too poor/too far away to go to an Indian restaurant? Well, here is a quick, easy, and healthy recipe that you can make at home in just a few minutes.

Ingredients:
1/2 pound (about 1.5 cans) of canned tuna (canned chicken, lentils, cooked ground beef, or any other protein can also be used)
12 oz of tomato sauce
1-2 cloves of garlic
1/2 yellow cooking onion
1-2 dried red peppers (chiles japonese), chopped
olive oil (or your favorite cooking oil)
curry powder
garam masala
kosher salt
prepared rice

1) Chop the half onion and heat the oil on medium-high heat in a small skillet. When the oil is hot, add the onion and stir occasionally while cooking
2) About halfway through cooking the onion, press or chop the garlic cloves and add to the fryin' pan.
3) As the onion and garlic cooks, add the curry powder, garam masala, and chilies to taste. It may take a couple of tries to get this right, but you will not screw it up too bad regardless of how much you use. Err on the side of under-seasoning, as more can be added later.
4) As the onions become translucent and the garlic browns, add the drained tuna and allow it to brown a bit.
5) Add the tomato sauce and mix well. Turn down heat to simmer, add kosher salt, and taste periodically to adjust salt and seasoning.
6) When the mixture is fairly thick, remove from heat and mix with rice. Serve in a bowl.

You can add lots of stuff to this recipe or remove the pepper and it'll still taste pretty good. It actually tastes better if left in the fridge overnight before mixing with the rice, as it allows the spices to be better absorbed by the tuna. It also freezes well.

Serve with a light lager, gewurztraminer, or iced tea.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca Burch said...

You just made my day! I'm totally going to make this.

I never thought of curried tuna... that would be good!

Tuesday, November 27, 2007  
Blogger Blonde Goddess said...

I will also be trying this recipe. My 14 year old daughter is a vegetarian and I can make it using beans. I try to cook at least three vegetarian meals a week to reach a compromise on the different belief system in our house.

This sounds like a yummy compromise...

Tuesday, November 27, 2007  
Blogger Buzzardbilly said...

I love Indian food. I especially love the way curry fills the whole house with that wonderful spicy smell.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007  
Blogger Chris James said...

For a veggie variation, a mix of prepared lentils, some canned kidney beans, and some frozen peas might be purty good.

As for the tuna, I've found that the curry blasts the flavor of it out of the water, leaving you with just a nice curried meat.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007  
Blogger jennyville said...

I'm dead certain I'm not going to find any garam masala around here, but as soon as I get my hands on some, I'm giving curry a shot.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007  
Blogger jedijawa said...

Man, I loves me some curry!

Tuesday, November 27, 2007  
Blogger Chris James said...

Me too, I was just always sick of plopping down $12 at Nawabs or slaving away for 3 hours to make it. This version is pretty anglicized, but it works.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home