... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Friday, December 07, 2007

...ASAT Food Review: BK's Firecracker TenderCrisp

A few months ago, BK took away my favorite menu item, the Spicy TenderCrisp. Well, to make up for that transgression, they have released a similar sandwich called the Firecracker TenderCrisp. Today is the first day that it was available at my local BK, so I figured that's make a perfect lunch treat. I ordered one, to go, with no tomato, as usual, and passed on fries so that I could focus on the actual sandwich itself.

Well, I can report that not much has changed from the Spicy, but there have been some noticeable improvements. Instead of the punch and run heat of the Spicy TenderCrisp, the burn of the Firecracker is best described as "low and slow." It never overwhelmed, but sticks to the tongue a bit longer than its recent ancestor.


In terms of flavor, Burger King has done some interesting things to ensure that this sam'mich doesn't just rely on cheap heat to make its point. There is a definitely smokiness to the creamy hot sauce, probably from some sort of chipotle seasoning. It really gives it a complexity that is usually lacking in fast food and was most certainly absent from the Spicy TC.


The only real complaint that I have was the skimpiness in which my local BK applied the sauce. That BK has always been known for having employees who erred on the side of being slow, but it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out that that was not enough sauce. My recommendation would be to check the sandwich upon delivery and asking for more sauce if they cheap out on you.


I give it 3.5 out of 5 stars, with the right to bump it to 4 if they hook me up with some adequate sauce-age next time. This should prove to be pretty good timing for BK, as spicy foods taste great during cold weather months and are also some of the only foods that can be enjoyed when one is congested from a cold or the flu.


Good work, BK. You've got a winner.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Evil Twin's Wife said...

The chicken appears to be real chicken, as opposed to "beaks n feathers", am I right? It looks pretty good. I almost ordered the jalapeno burger from Wendy's last night, but then went for my regular standard - single, cheese, everything.

Friday, December 07, 2007  
Blogger Buzzardbilly said...

I am so addicted to the Burger King Mocha Joe that they recognize my car when I pull through the parking lot. When I make it to the squawk box, they simply say, "One or two?" I tell them the number and pull around to get me cold, creamy, and delicious mocha joe.

I'll try the new samerich out. I'm a fan of Wendy's Spicy Chicken, so maybe I'll like this.

Friday, December 07, 2007  
Blogger crystal said...

I generally consider anything from Burger King to be full of fail and vomit but I might just try that! But not tomorrow.... oh no.... tomorrow? Fat Pattys.

Saturday, December 08, 2007  
Blogger Chris James said...

ETW:It is indeed a slice of chicken breast and not that compressed mechanically-seperated crap.

BB: It is a bit diff than the Spicy Chicken, as Wendy's brings da heat via a seasoned breading, while BK uses a hot sauce.

Crystal: FWIW, this is one of the best items that BK has released in recent years. It's no TenderCrisp Bacon Cheddar Ranch, but still awesome.

Saturday, December 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home