... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Monday, January 28, 2008

...ASAT Beer Round-Up: Mountaineer Brewing Company's Stout

I've heard of Mountaineer Brewing Company before, but, until the other day, I had not had a chance to sample the product from the Martinsburg-based brewery. They seem to not be distributing in Huntington too much, but I saw some in the Charleston area, so I decided to pick up a sixer. They had a lager (yawn), a red ale (meh), a pale ale (hmm), and a stout (bingo!).

One thing I've learned over the years is that any idiot with the desire and the equipment thinks that they can make an Irish-style stout. Unfortunately, the results usually end up tasting like a mix of rusty nails and hospital disinfectant, so my expectations were rather low going into the first bottle.

Boy, was I in for a pleasant surprise!

Now don't get me wrong. This stuff isn't as good as a properly-pulled Guinness on-tap, but, hell, few things are. That being said, MBC's stout was one of the best American-made stouts that I have ever tasted. The color was that of burnt caramel, the aroma was like a great coffee from the Starbucks at Pike Place Market, the presentation was crisp and smooth but still earthy, and the finish was muy chocolaty.

I cannot pass judgement on Mountaineer until I sample more of their portfolio and find a place that has some of their product on tap, but I can say that the stout gives Virginia Occidental an entirely respectable beer to put on the national stage.

I give Mountaineer Brewing Company's Stout 4 out of 5 Slumpbusters.
(PS - Marco would look much better on a beer bottle than "Inbred Jed" or whatever the WVU mascot's name is, BTW :) )

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Blonde Goddess said...

I'm going to have to check that out. I like supporting local businesses and enjoy sampling new things...thanks for the review!

Monday, January 28, 2008  
Blogger RedZeppelin said...

Nice post. I'll have to look for that and sample some. Where have you seen it in the Charleston area?

I wish the legislature would get rid of our antiquated, puritanical alcohol laws so we can get start getting some real beers in this state.

Monday, January 28, 2008  
Blogger Chris James said...

I found it at a Kroger.

Monday, January 28, 2008  
Blogger Evil Twin's Wife said...

I'm not a beer drinker (gasp!), but I'd have to buy it if it had Marco on it.

Monday, January 28, 2008  
Blogger Rebecca Burch said...

Cool! I'm with BG... I love to support local businesses!

Monday, January 28, 2008  
Blogger Buzzardbilly said...

I'm dying over "Inbred Jed." That's hilarious. I don't think 'the mountaineer' has a regular name...until now.

On vacation this year, I bought Curmy some Gonzo Imperial Porter by Flying Dog Ales. It's a Hunter S. Thompson tribute beer (with a portion of profits going to construction of the memorial fist) because the owner of the brewery was friends with HST. Ralph Steadman does their labels.

The Gonzo Imperial Porter wasn't a big hit here, because it's a porter, but the bottle sure is.

Monday, January 28, 2008  
Blogger RedZeppelin said...

I spotted it yesterday in my local Kroger, but it was $8 a six! That's a "special occasion" price on my budget.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home