... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

The songs of my life, early 2000

S Club 7 - "Bring It All Back"

In early 2000, I studied for a semester in England and this song seemed to be everywhere. It is a formulaic, garden-variety British pop song by a vocal group manufactured for a teeny bopper show set in Los Angeles. Even though it had been out for sometime by the time I got there, this song could only be avoided by stabbing one's ears with a screw driver. It was always on the radio, in the shoppes, and in pubs filled with irony-loving undergrads. While I hated it then, and still find the music to be quite dreadful, the song still brings back fond memories of a once-in-a-lifetime time and place.


Labels: , , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Steve Adams said...

S Club 7 had one song I liked years ago. Something about "don't stop moving."

Thursday, January 24, 2008  
Blogger All Click said...

ah S Club 7. Many I time I got up on the dancefloor to that "band". It was kinda cool to do that when I was at uni.

Thursday, January 24, 2008  
Blogger jennyville said...

That's awful.

Thursday, January 24, 2008  
Blogger Chris James said...

I know, Jenny...and that is the point. I love any band where I am (or, well, was in 2000) better looking than all of the guys and I have, um, "had" better than girls. But, in all fairness, they are English, so they can't help it ;)

Thursday, January 24, 2008  
Blogger All Click said...

Ouch man. Ouuuccchh!!! :-p

Have a pint of snakebite and black and then you may feel differently about the girls...and possibly the guys.

Thursday, January 24, 2008  
Blogger Evil Twin's Wife said...

That was terrible. I remember the song and thinking "Geesh, that sucks." The video probably scarred me for life. Thanks.

Thursday, January 24, 2008  
Blogger Buzzardbilly said...

Anglia Polytechic in Cambridge, perchance?

That's where they sent me. It was the same year the Oasis's "Wonderwall" was everywhere. Then the Spice Girls started telling people what they want (what they really, really want). Music was a total disappointment there in 1996. Okay, Radiohead made it a little easier to take.

Friday, January 25, 2008  
Blogger Buzzardbilly said...

BTW, this still holds true: BritPop = ShitPop. ;)

Friday, January 25, 2008  
Blogger Elvis Drinkmo said...

Oh hell yeah! Now I'm inspired. Cool. Time to get to work on a new blog post.

Thanks for the Sunday boost, Chris!

Sunday, January 27, 2008  
Blogger Chris James said...

I also found it odd to be in a place where Robbie Williams was a huge star, as his one single fell flat here.

Sunday, January 27, 2008  
Blogger Buzzardbilly said...

So was it APU? Did you have Pat Coyle or John James for class?

Seriously. We must share stories if so.

Monday, January 28, 2008  
Blogger iremonger said...

That is so bad, it's almost good. I was lucky enough to be in Ireland and England for the duration of S Club 7's fame. Wasn't that Idol producer guy involved? Where in England were you? In the Summer of 2000 I was working in an industrial laundry in Clacton-on-Sea, Essex. The only other place I've seen that godforsaken place mentioned was in the writings of Sylvia Plath :) Thanks for the memories! Next, you have to post something from 5ive.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008  
Blogger Silverback said...

Many stars (music and theatre) are huge in one country but not another. Robbie Williams is just one example.

What gets me is when someone does make it over here in the US and I'll say oh he's British, my US friends say, wow I thought he was American and usually don't believe me - like Hugh Laurie (House) last night.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home