... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Fake ...ASAT Oscar Ballot, Part 1

Well, it seems like yet another major award academy has forgot to mail out my ballot, this time despite my deleted deleted scene as an extra in We Are Marshall. Well, here is the ballot that I scribbled on a Penn Station Subs napkin and mailed to Price-Waterhouse-Cooper anyway.

Best Animated Feature
Persepolis
Ratatouille
Surf's Up


Ratatouille is one of the best films of the year, period. The animation is phenomenal, the voice acting precise, and the overall story is sweet without getting sappy. In fact, if this award didn't exist, I am almost certain that the film would have received a nod for Best Picture.

Best Adapted Screenplay
Atonement, Christopher Hampton; from Atonement, novel by Ian McEwan
Away from Her, Sarah Polley; from "The Bear Came over the Mountain", short story by Alice Munro
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Ronald Harwood; from Le scaphandre et le papillon, memoir by Jean-Dominique Bauby
No Country for Old Men, Joel and Ethan Coen; from No Country for Old Men, novel by Cormac McCarthy
There Will Be Blood, Paul Thomas Anderson; from Oil!, novel by Upton Sinclair

NCFOM stays true to the feel of the bleak novel while allowing the Coens to leave their mark on this epic.

Best Original Screenplay
Juno, Diablo Cody
Lars and the Real Girl, Nancy Oliver
Michael Clayton, Tony Gilroy
Ratatouille, Brad Bird
The Savages, Tamara Jenkins

The hip choice is Diablo Cody, but I'm partial to Bird's take on the rat cartoon. The storytelling and dialogue are perfect and lacks the forced-cleverness of Juno's sillier lines like "he's good in chair."

Best Supporting Actress
Cate Blanchett, I'm Not There
Ruby Dee, American Gangster
Saoirse Ronan, Atonement
Amy Ryan, Gone Baby Gone
Tilda Swinton, Michael Clayton

Sometimes actors give a powerhouse performance, but bear no resemblance to the real person (Anthony Hopkins in Nixon) while, at other times, they will do a dead-on impersonation without doing much in the way of acting (those Amy Fisher telefilms). Blanchett, in her turn as the superstar-era Bob Dylan, does nails both the person and the sentimentality of the part. She does a better Dylan than Dylan and really gets at the heart of what it meant to be an artistic counter-revolutionary in the mid-60's.

Best Supporting Actor
Casey Affleck, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Javier Bardem, No Country for Old Men
Philip Seymour Hoffman, Charlie Wilson's War
Hal Holbrook, Into the Wild
Tom Wilkinson, Michael Clayton

Bardem's Anton Chigurh is the single fucking scariest movie character that isn't a killer shark or isn't a Sith Lord. If he doesn't win, it will be the great screwjob of this Oscar ceremony.

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger The Film Geek said...

Terrific analysis. I agree with almost all your picks. I worry that the sentimental vote might hurt Bardem a bit (with votes going to Holbrook)but I think Bardem has to be a near-lock.

I'm hoping to try a Oscar live-blog Sunday night. I really like Stewart in the host role, so I'm hoping it'll be fun.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008  
Blogger jennyville said...

Javier Bardem absolutely nailed Chigurh, to the point where I still experience residual creepiness from the scariest character I've ever seen - killer sharks and sith lords included. Damn.

A few days after I saw No Country For Old Men, I was reading an article in Esquire that featured Bardem, among others. For the photo shoot he was wearing an impeccable suit, and a killer haircut.

I still have trouble reconciling these two images of him in my head, so I just go back and forth between being scared shitless, and totally wanting to hit that (he's *quite* attractive without that pageboy).

Wednesday, February 20, 2008  
Blogger The Film Geek said...

Hell, he's so good looking in real life that I'm tempted to hit that.

(Ohmygod...did I say that out loud?)

What I mean, is...

Wednesday, February 20, 2008  
Blogger jennyville said...

ROFLMAO!

Dude. High five. :D

Wednesday, February 20, 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home