... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

A "WTF?" Moment at Kroger

I was checking out the beer section of the 5th Ave Kroger the other day and came across an unusual item: a can that contained a mix of Budweiser, Clamato, lime juice, and salt.

Um, wtf?

Well, it turns out that "chelada" (or "michelada") is essentially a bloody mary made with beer instead of vodka and has been popular in Mexico and the Southwest since the 1940s. Miller Chill is meant to be a similar offering, only lacking the tomato juice. My guess is that, as demographics in the country shift, the big breweries are trying to keep up with the demands of a changing marketplace and this is an attempt to reach out to the Mexican-American consumer. The folks at ratebeer.com, however, are having none of it. With the exception of some guy from Texas, the product seems to be universally despised ("tastes like spaghetti water," "didn’t realize vomit was available in cans").

As a fan of bloody marys and culinary masochism, I'm gonna grab a can this weekend and see how it tastes. I will, of course, post my results on ...ASAT.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Buzzardbilly said...

The ex back in the WVU days used to drink a Red Eye (beer and tomato juice) for hangovers. I never tried one. Sometimes he would order one in a bar if he was feeling hungry but didn't want to stop drinking; sometimes he would run to the convenience store next door and get a V-8 to mix with his beer.

None of it sounded appeallng to me. And, Clamato?! Ewww. Mixing fish juice doesn't make anything sound more appetizing now does it?

Tuesday, February 19, 2008  
Blogger Evil Twin's Wife said...

Actually, just a v8 on hangover days is enough to do the trick, but so is an Alka Selzter and I think the AS is tastier.

Chris, thanks for taking one for the team! Can't wait for the review.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008  
Blogger Buzzardbilly said...

Chris, You've won an award at my site :)

Wednesday, February 20, 2008  
Anonymous rebecca said...

Wow... that sounds thoroughly disgusting.

Beer + lime juice = OK

Beer + lime juice + tomato juice = barf in a can

Wednesday, February 20, 2008  
Blogger moneytastesbad said...

So did you ever try it?

I got a 22 of the Bud Lite version and, well, I don't want to influence your results, so I wait till you post you opinion before I give mine. But I will say that It reminds me of something that rhymes with "Course Bit"

Wednesday, February 27, 2008  
Blogger Chris James said...

Yup, I just forgot to post my tasting notes on here (which I will soon correct).

Wednesday, March 05, 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home