... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Monday, April 21, 2008

BBQ Bacon Rampburger

With three pounds of baby/early Spring ramps to eat, I had to get creative with my menu. I love 'em served as a side, but they sometimes make for great toppin,' too.

This time, I was jonesin' a burger and thought that a rampburger (or ramp burger, dependin' on how you spell it) might make for some good grub. I know that they serve them in a few places like Craigsville and Elkins, but there wasn't too much on the web for how to build a great hamburger with ramps, so I kinda had to wing it.

Now, for me, it doesn't get much better than the taste of warm barbeque sauce and bacon on a cheeseburger. Therefore, I fried me up some bacon, a mess of ramps, and a hamburger patty. I dropped the burger on a fresh Heiner's bun:

I then piled on the ramps:

Next came some finely shredded mild cheddar cheese:

Then I built a tee pee of four bacon strips on the burger:

I finally topped in off with some warm (always heat your bottled sauce at home in the nuker for 15-30 sec. to maximize flavor) Cattleman's BBQ Sauce:

Wow, this burger was good. The ramps performed a roll similar to that of a grilled onion and gave the burger a wonderfully strong savoriness that complimented the smokey sweetness of the barbeque sauce and the bacon.

If you have a bunch of ramps and aren't sure what to do with them all, I cannot recommend a BBQ Bacon Rampburger strongly enough.

I give it 4.5 out of 5 ramps.

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Charles said...

You had me until the sauce went on. Just make mine without.

Monday, April 21, 2008  
Blogger Chris James said...

My wife agrees. She skipped the bbq in favor of mayo and ketchup.

Monday, April 21, 2008  
Anonymous rebecca said...

You know, I've never had ramps. That looks good, though!

Tuesday, April 22, 2008  
Blogger Evil Twin's Wife said...

What are those ramps doin' on there, besides bringing a somewhat healthy vibe to an otherwise perfect heart attack on a bun??? LOL. Looks yummy. I'll take one just like it.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008  
Blogger Chris James said...

Somewhat healthy? Ha!!!

I fried them in about 3 pigs worth of bacon grease. :)

Wednesday, April 23, 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home