... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Friday, May 30, 2008

Where have I found cicadas?

If you roughly live in the interior Mid-Atlantic or the eastern Midwest, there is a good chance that your area is covered in 17-year magicicadas from Brood XIV.

Note that when I say "covered," I'm not speaking in hyperbole. These buggers are every-freakin'-where.

Here are the ten oddest/funniest/strangest/most annoying places that they've popped up so far:

10. In my locked car
9. Under my feet every time that I walk past one of our city's giant oaks ("crunch, crunch, crunch")
8. Almost completely covering the street side of the house on the western corner of my block
7. In my tarantula's mouth (she can't believe she ate the whole thing)
6. Four of them trapped in my toddler's well-gripped fist
5. In the grasp of a squirrel that is trying to eat as many locusts in 10 minutes as Kobayashi can hot dogs
4. Buzzing into my windshield on the freeway every three minutes
3. On our butterfly bush, but not on that junkwood (sumac?) tree in our back yard that our landlord refuses to chainsaw
2. Half-digested in my dog's poop while cleaning up the back yard
1. The urinal in the men's room at the Ritter Park picnic shelter

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

OpenID muzeuterpe said...

You have a tarantula?!

Friday, May 30, 2008  
Blogger Evil Twin's Wife said...

I had a South American bird eating tarantula once. He was really cool.

I am sick of the cicadas already. Their nasty husks all over the place and then the nasty red eyed flying vermin are just gross.

Saturday, May 31, 2008  
Blogger Chris James said...

I've had her since March of 2001 (not a typo). Female Chilean Rose Hairs can live for quite some time.

She finally finished her cidada and she has the same demeanor that I exhibit after an hour session at the Nawab buffet.

Saturday, May 31, 2008  
Blogger jennyville said...

We don't have a single cicada up here... yet. I guess they're on their way, probably. Great.

Sunday, June 01, 2008  
Blogger Chris James said...

They drown out the cars and city sounds of Huntington, so I imagine that, out in BFE, the cicadas will probably have it turned up to "11."

Buy some earplug.

Sunday, June 01, 2008  
Blogger jennyville said...

Oh man.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1866011

Check out the recipes at the bottom. I'm trying hard to be intrigued but that's being overwhelmed by the urge to ralph.

Sunday, June 01, 2008  
Blogger RedZeppelin said...

I've only seen a few cicada skins around my place, but Kanawha State Forest is full of them.

And one flew in our car.

Monday, June 02, 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home