... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Building My Own Steak 'n Shake Chili 5-Way

I love the chili at Steak 'n Shake, so I am naturally excited that local stores have started carrying cans of the stuff. Much like its cousin from Cincinnati, however, there is much more to eating this chili that plopping it into a bowl and nuking it for 2:30. If I want to enjoy the goodness of my new favorite chain diner, I've got a little work ahead:




The recipe calls for seasoned ground beef. As they never really specify what that entails, I'll season mine with Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning (the best seasoning salt on the planet, IMHO):



I also have to boil some spaghetti. For any spaghetti dish topped with a beefy meat sauce, I like to cook my noodles a bit past al dente and let them drain for a little while:



I've heated the chili in a saucepan and now it goes on the noodles:



As does the seasoned ground beef:



The can tells me that I can re-create their chili sauce by mixing four parts ketchup with one part Worcestershire sauce:



I heat the mixture in the microwave for about 20 seconds and ring the ground beef with the sauce:



Now I'll add some shredded cheese:



And some Vidalia onions and some of their pepper sauce:



It wasn't quite the same as at the restaurant, but it was an excellent at home clone. Making and eating the dish would make for a fun family night activity. I give it four out of five messy toddlers and/or smiling adolescents.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger All Click said...

mmm that looks sweet...except those onions. But I'll let ya off cause they are big enoguh for me to pick off.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008  
Blogger Chris James said...

Have you ever tasted a Vidalia onion?

I could eat one like it was an apple. :)

Wednesday, June 18, 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home