... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Friday, July 25, 2008

Conversation in Target

I was checking out the action figure section in Target the other day when I heard this exchange:

Kid: "Star Wars!!!!"
Mom: "How do you know about Star Wars? Did you learn that at school?"
Kid: "Uhhhhhhh"

J. t-d'n C. (on crutches), the kid was 6 or 7 years old and the mother expected him to not know about The Saga?

My son is two, and if he could say more words than "I," "go," and "poop," he would totally be able to explain why Boba Fett is way superior to Jango Fett, despite being his clone.

Despite my outrage at this clear educational omission, the Scots-Irish (little l) libertarian in me judge this woman for being either a granola bonging loon or a tambourine-tappin' true believer. The mother seems otherwise nice and the kid is polite and well-adjusted, so there is no real need for moral panic or name calling.

But I will offer a warning.

Parents of Huntington: in three years, my son will be filling your kids' heads full of stories of Bib Fortuna, Tusken Raiders, and why Darth Vader should have used the Death Star on Naboo instead of Alderaan (hint: Jar Jar).

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger RedZeppelin said...

My 2-year-old is already familiar with some SW characters thanks to an old SW storybook I still have from my childhood. My goal is to hide the existence of the prequels from her for as long as possible.

"No, honey, Darth is the scariest villain in the universe, not a sniveling bratty teen."

Friday, July 25, 2008  
Blogger All Click said...

What is the verdict on the animated movie coming out?

You need to begin the absorbtion subtly with your kids. Start saying things like "May the force be with you" when you tuck them in at night. Describe bullying as "the dark side" as well as not eating your vegetables. Tell them Darth Vadar is hiding in the closet and is displeased with their lack of faith.

It worked out with my parents.

Friday, July 25, 2008  
Blogger Jackie said...

Guilty! But it was bound to happen anyways. I still have lots of my old guys and ships...and the kiddos caught a glimpse one day..and the rest is history.

And they'll always know that Greedo never got a shot off...NEVER!!!

Saturday, July 26, 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home