... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Friday, August 15, 2008

...ASAT trolls the songs of the early '80s

Pretenders: "Back on the Chain Gang"

This was originally a post break-up song but, after the drug-related death of a band member, it became a snapshot of Chrissie Hynde's attempt to wrestle with the concept of death and dying young. To me, the song can be viewed for through the lens of any final and permanent change in any sort of relationship status between two people. The emotional theme, catchy riffs, and poetic lyrics make this one of the best rock songs of the 1980s.

Stevie Wonder: "I Just Called to Say I Love You"


In 1984, you could not go 30 minutes without hearing this song on every station or over the speakers at Heck's and Big Bear. While I might have gotten sick of this one as a wee young lad, my recent rediscovery of this track on youtube confirms what program directors knew back then: this is a great f'n love song.

Molly Hatchet: "Flirtin' with Disaster"


Ever gone 65 on a one-lane gravel road in a 20 year-old car? I'd bet that this song was on a mixtape in said car. It is scientifically proven that this song makes Bud Light taste 25% better and size 12 women 15% sexier than their size 6 counterparts.

God, I miss that car.

Wham!: "Wham Rap!"


Hey-suse cristoes, this is really awful. In all fairness, though, rap was brand spankin' new, especially in England and no one knew just how silly George Michael rapping about having fun with the "boys that (he) meets" would sound after 25 years of hindsight and, furthermore, he is a better MC than Debbie Harry. That said, try really hard to watch this and not giggle.
.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger RedZeppelin said...

At the risk of being attacked for something I said when I was seven, I must comment on your song choices.

The Pretenders are just awesome. I'd never heard anything but their hits until recently, but their entire first album is strong. They're just a solid group.

You might be the first person in history to juxtapose "I Just Called to Say I Love You" and "Flirtin' With Disaster." I used to love the latter (Molly Hatchet 8-track FTW), but the former I've always hated. Maybe it's just overexposure, but the fact that the same guy did that song and "Superstition" has always been proof to me that genius is fleeting.

Then again Elton John did "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" and "I'm Still Standing," so Stevie isn't alone in that category.

"Wham Rap"? Don't know it. Don't have the courage to click to listen. But boy did they help define the 80s, for better or worse.

Thanks for the trip down amnesia lane.

Friday, August 15, 2008  
Blogger Lara, the Neurotic Att'y said...

Um, yeah, when I was a kid, I thought "I Just Called to Say I Love You" was about Jehova's Witnesses. My best friend was JW, and I was accutely aware that they didn't celebrate holidays or birthdays, so the lyrics "No New Year's Day to celebrate...No chocolate-covered candy hearts to give away...No Halloween" led me to believe it was about JWs and how you should tell them that you love them because they can't go trick-or-treating or open Christmas gifts. Hey, I was 9.

Friday, August 15, 2008  
Blogger Jackie said...

Ha! There was a guy I grew up with had "Flirtin' With Disaster" stenciled on his Chevelle. Good times.

"Back On The Chain Gang"? Just Awesome. And Stevie? I force my better half to play that song on the keyboards at least once a week.

But I'm not watching that Wham! shite. I saw enough homo-erotic warbling from that Vedder guy in yer last video :P

Friday, August 15, 2008  
Blogger Chris James said...

Red: What about Paul McCartney. On one hand, he wote all of his songs before "Live and Let Die," but on the other, he wrote all of his songs since "Live and Let Die." That last CD was the worst thing I bought at Starbucks since I had them add a shot of valencia to an egg nog mocha.

Lara: That is one of the best stories that I have heard in quite a while.

Jackie: It beats me why it took GM wagging his gherkin at a cop in the turlet for the world to figure out the big mystery.

Saturday, August 16, 2008  
Blogger RedZeppelin said...

Chris: Great McCartney observation. He belongs in The Club too.

Same with the band Chicago. From "25 or 6 to 4" to "You're the Inspiration"? WTF?

Monday, August 18, 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home