... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Friday, September 12, 2008

Try This At Home: Bacon and Cheddar Cheese Matzowich

As can be expected in a post-industrial city of 50 large in the Appalachian Rust Belt, Huntington's nations-to-tribe ratio is rather high, especially in comparison to nearby cities like Cincinnati, Columbus, and Pittsburgh. This means that many of the products in the small kosher sections of Krogers, Food Fair, etc., often end up in the clearance cart with some degree of frequency.

I stumbled across some egg matzos for a buck the other day and said "why not?" While I ate most of them as snack crackers (seasoned with Frank's Red Hot or Tony Chachere's), I did try a few culinary 'speriments to see if I could create a delicious entree/sandwich/whatever with this value-tastic product.

I've seen some advert for breakfast flatbread sam'miches recently, so I figured I'd give it a whirl. I warmed the matzo in the oven and made a mess of bacon. I cracked the matzo in the middle along the convenient breaklines and topped with some of the bacon and some finely-shredded cheddar.



This was really good. The next time I am going to nuke the matzo instead of toasting, as it got too crispy to hold. I also think an egg, fried in the style of Tudor's Biscuit World, and a black market slice of the government cheese instead of fancy-pants cheddar would bring a lot to the sandwich. Another future incarnation might involve a slice of county ham, as the unsalted cracker bread could mellow the funk of the fine Virginia swine.

I give it 4 out of 5 broke-ass wage slaves trying to maintain their culinary dignity.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Donutbuzz said...

This is exactly why I don't keep kosher.

Friday, September 12, 2008  
Blogger Chris James said...

According to some orthodox rabbis, gentiles are not supposed to keep kosher or pay any attention to any Jewish law past those of Noah.

As a goy of the Anglo-Celtic sort, I'm only more than happy to oblige.

And thanks to my pet pig, Etheline, who gave up a leg to make the bacon. She is getting better and hobbling around like a champ.

Um, uh, erm, wait a minute, I think I need to re-read the Noahide laws again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Laws_of_Noah

Shit.

Friday, September 12, 2008  
Blogger Chris James said...

Oh, I got some can't miss dip coming up soon for matzo.

Friday, September 12, 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home