... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Friday, October 10, 2008

...ASAT Top Five Chicken Wing Flavors

1. Classic Buffalo. 2 parts Frank's Red Hot, 1 part margarine, garlic powder
2. Jamaican jerk.
3. Any generic Chinese glaze
4. Grilled with lime and honey marinade
5. BW3's Spicy Garlic

Hon. Mention: Spicy/sweet BBQ and any of the 'too hot to eat more than seven wings' flavors.

Worst flavor: Honey mustard. This isn't 5th grade.

How'sabout you?

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger All Click said...

I make a variation of number 1 and use it on crispy thin cut fries. Try using unsalted butter (one tablespoon) and fresh REAL garlic.

Friday, October 10, 2008  
Blogger Chris James said...

I'm not a fan of how butter melts for wings, although I suppose some ghee would work. As for the garlic, I'm partial to the coating properties of the dried stuff.

I worked in a crappy restaurant one summer and spent most of my time tweaking the recipe. You can add extra salt and red pepper if you want the people at the bar to drink more.

Friday, October 10, 2008  
Anonymous Hoyt said...

I dig the really hot BBQ sauce at BW3.

Friday, October 10, 2008  
Blogger JDB said...

A shout out for dry wings - Quaker Steak has a couple of good varieties. It drives me nuts to get wings that are nothing but slimy messes.

Sunday, October 12, 2008  
Blogger Chris James said...

Ginos makes some pretty killer sauceless hot wing, jdb.

Monday, October 13, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Native WVian living on west coast here (Seattle). I know none of you really care about wings out here, but I'm leaving this comment anyway.

For making your own wings, I don't think you can beat Wingtime. It's thick and clings to the wing, while maintaining constant flavor. Try the garlic, medium, or hot. Extra hot is only for those who dislike and wish to punish their own assholes. Mild is for pussies. You can buy it from their site, if you want to trust the word of a stranger.

As for wing joints, the local place in Seattle is Wingdome. It sucks. The sauces are good, but the meat quality is pretty bad unless you opt for their insane 7-star wing. BW3's is better, and I don't think they're anything special.

The best wings I have ever had, and I've had LOTS of wings, spent most of my life in the midwest, etc... are from Fire on the Mountain in Portland, OR. You will not be disappointed.

Friday, October 17, 2008  
Blogger Chris James said...

Thanks, anon.

I'm in Seattle from time to time, but it sounds like I need to make it to Portland the next time I'm out yonder.

Saturday, October 18, 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home