... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Lazy Repost: New Years black-eyed peas

This is a repost from earlier this year (2008) showing the recipe I used to make New Years black-eyed peas. I'll be following the same recipe tomorrow, 'cept Kroger stopped carrying the Linguica, so I gotta come up with something else.
In preparation for New Years Day's dinner, I did some research on how to use that bag of black-eyed peas I've had for a while in making a traditional southern New Years' dish. After some googling, I stumbled across this recipe from about.com for "Happy New Year Peas" and figured that it looked mighty tasty. While I'm not going to repeat the recipe here (just click on the link), I did take step-by-step photos of my cooking 'speriment.

I boiled the black-eyed peas with some left-over ham chunks for flavor.

I used a winter sweet onion. I can't wait 'til Vidalia season to try this again!
I fried 'em in a blend of olive oil and bacon grease.

Instead of sausage links, I used Gaspar's Portuguese-style linguica sausage. It is mild flavor and can be found with the smoke sausages at the Kroger in Barboursville.

I cut the sausages into half-inch thick disks.

I went with Cattlemen's bbq sauce and French's mustard.


The peas and the reserve liquid in the baking dish

Add the other ingredients...

Stir 'em up and put 'em in the oven...

And now it's time to eat!!!

This pea recipe was da bomb (yes, I'm bringing that back). It tasted sort-of like a home-made baked pea recipe, but with the nutty, earthy taste of black-eyed peas and a salty-sweet zing from the linguica. This recipe was plenty sweet, so I would advise against using any sort of honey-flavored bbq sauce or mustard. I dashed a little Frank's Red Hot on mine, but if everyone in your family likes some heat in their food, some diced jalapeno added to the recipe would work, too. As for beverage pairings, I'd go with a citrus soda, a sturdy lager, riesling, or a sparkling white wine.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger RedZeppelin said...

That looks insanely good.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008  
Blogger Elvis Drinkmo said...

Damn, that looks good. I love me some black-eyed peas.

My recipe is even lazier, dump a bag of frozen black-eyed peas in the slow-cooker and fill it about 1/2 to 3/4 with water and throw in a big hunk of salt-pork. Cook on low for about five or six hours.

Thursday, January 01, 2009  
Blogger Blonde Goddess said...

Maybe if I try making them using your recipe then they'll taste good. The last time I ate them (and only time) they tasted like dirty feet.

Monday, January 05, 2009  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home