... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Friday, March 13, 2009

Cincinnati Chili Calzone

In my never ending quest to eat Cincy style chili in as many ways as possible before I die, I was recently rummaging through my cupboard to find a starch other that pasta or french fries with which I could eat the evidence (along with Bart Giamatti's sudden death after banning Pete Rose) that God is indeed from the Queen City. In doing so, I stumbled across some store-brand pizza dough from Kroger (a Cincinnati-based store, btw). My first thought was Cincy chili pizza, but I've made that before. I also contemplated breadsticks with a chili dipping sauce, but I really didn't feel like doing any extra dishes. I finally realized the making a calzone would be my best option.

First, I mixed the dough mix according to the insturctions, but added a bit of sea salt and cinnamon to better match the flavors of the fillings:

After letting the dough rise, I carefully spread the dough and topped it with Cincinnati style chili, sweet onions, and cheddar cheese:

I folded it over and put it on a greased pizza stone in a pre-heated oven until browned:


Then enjoyed:


Well,the thing came out uglier than a discount English brothel, but it tasted mighty good. Next time, I will use a bit less filling and be more careful about sealing up the edges. Depsite its looks, I still give this 4.5 out of 5 Chris Sabos.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Paul Higginbotham said...

Nice!!

Friday, March 13, 2009  
Blogger Evil Twin's Wife said...

If you use a fork to press the edges together next time, that should give you a good seal. But, really it's not that big of a deal... just think how ugly it's going to be all rolling around in your stomach. Ugly, but delicious, I'm sure!

Saturday, March 14, 2009  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home