... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Fast Food Review: Burger King's TenderCrisp Bacon Cheddar Ranch

Well, after years of moaning and complaining on my part, Burger King has finally yielded and re-released the TenderCrisp Bacon Cheddar Ranch sandwich (you may remember it from the excellent country/western-themed commercial starring Darius Rucker). This should be one of the happiest moments of my life.

Should be, but it isn't (yes, I'm that damn shallow).

Think about the last time you went to your old hometown to see your folks. Now, remember going into the WalMart Supercenter and seeing your high school crush AND her 5 kids AND that extra 120 lbs she has put on over the years? The TCBCR '09 is kinda like that for me: fond memories evaporated by the cruel bitch that is reality.



The most noticeable difference is the one that they put on the sign out front. The sandwich will now set you back $4.49 + tax. If my memory serves me, this is abut a dollar more than it did the last time around. I know that times are tough for BK, but they are for us, too.

Now I might be a little less upset if the quality of the ingredients was upgraded or at least maintained. That wouldn't be too much to ask, right?

Wrong.

The Hootie-era sandwich had red onions that have been replaced by white onions, if you are lucky. The one that I photograph had no onions at all (I guess "no tomato" means "no onion or tomato" in BKspeak). Regular ranch dressing, or at least a significantly less bacony dressing, seems to have replaced the bacon-ranch sauce of yore.


Don't get me wrong: this is still a pretty damn good fast food sandwich. However, when one takes into account that the quality of the last incarnation of the sammy and the fact that you would have had to have received a pay raise of, say, $55,000 in the past year to afford it, I have to call it a mild-to-medium disappointment.

3.5 out of 5 Super Manch's.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Hoyt said...

I think BK is more concerned with airing surreal commercials than it is with the food. Still, I always go with the bacon double cheeseburger.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009  
Blogger Chris James said...

If I'm wanting a burger, I tend to go to Hardees or Wendy's if I have cash or Mickey D's if I'm broke. At BK, it is all about the chicken and the onjun rings.

Thursday, April 16, 2009  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home