... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 33 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Monday, April 27, 2009

Fast Food Review: KFC's Kentucky Grilled Chicken

I've just returned from KFC with my free Kentucky Grilled Chicken thigh. I've been pumped about this for a couple of days and, judging from the turnout at the KFC closest to my workplace, so had a bunch of other people. Since I had to wait about 5 minutes for my KGC thigh, they even gave me a free drink to go along with my free chicken (+10 points, KFC).

When I opened the box, I was stuck by just how beautiful a piece of chicken this was. Crispy skin and grill marks are truly a sight to behold. The skin turned out to be just as tasty as purty: well-seasoned, crispy, and juicy (mmmm chicken fat). There was even a hit of a burnt flavor that can only be found on grilled meat.

Sadly, it went downhill once I got into the meat. The flesh was rather dry (something that I rarely see with thighs) and lacked flavor. If the meat is indeed marinated as advertised, they might need to let it soak a while longer.

I give the skin 4.5 out of 5 Secret Recipes, The meat 2 out of 5 grade school cafeteria baked chickens, and the overall product 3 out of 5 Crystal Pepsis.

Next time I wonder if they'll just let me get an order of the skin?

Labels: , , , ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To be fair to KFC, they did have much of this free chicken pre-made several hours ahead of time, which is probably why your piece was dry. I ordered some "fresh" in a Texas KFC the other day and it was anything BUT dry.

Monday, April 27, 2009  
Blogger Chris James said...

I'll give it another try, as I have a free coupon :). That said, my piece was supposedly "just made."

Tuesday, April 28, 2009  
OpenID miscmarci said...

Ooh, thanks for the food review. I just pulled my coupon out of the Sunday paper's issue of Parade, and plan to check it out sometime later this week.

It was good to see you actually received a decent-sized piece of chicken. The Consumerist ran a story late yesterday where someone complained about how tiny their free sample turned out to be. My reply is, what can you really expect for free? ;)

Tuesday, April 28, 2009  
Blogger Chris James said...

I was satisfied with the portion size of my free piece of chicken. They offered me a choice of a thigh, a leg, or two wings.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009  
Anonymous jac said...

Your review is right on the mark. It almost mirrors mine from a few days ago at http://www.fast-food-reviews.com , which tells me that what we got at two different times in two different States is what it really is. Excellent exterior and dry, boring interior.

Nice job.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009  
Blogger Chris James said...

Good to know that it wasn't an isolated incident, jac.

I'm seriously tempted to order a bucket of chicken skin the next time I'm @ teh kernulz.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009  
Blogger Spike Nesmith said...

I think it was the "free" part that dragged people there, rather than "grilled".

If it was free snot on a stick, there would still be a line.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009  
Blogger Chris James said...

No doubt. I once waited in line for a free order of Burger King's ass-nasty fries.

*cold shiver

Thursday, April 30, 2009  
Anonymous Nomad said...

KFC must be trying to compete with the delicious McRib sandwich from McDonald's; it's hard to resist those yummy painted-on grill stripes...

Monday, May 11, 2009  
Anonymous Al in SoCal said...

I was looking forward to trying the chicken, because it looked so great on TV. (Maybe the HD went too far?) With coupon in hand, I was turned away at the counter of the Rancho Santa Margarita store. They offered a raincheck. I said "...to heck with this, I'll just buy the damn stuff." I paid $10 for a bucket of 10 pieces. Sad to say, from the outset, the chicken smelled like a grease trap, and only after I got home, did I realize that it was no better than the spit-roasted chickens at the market or Costco. It always gets back to the individual stores! This is not the product I was hopeing for, nor was it any more flavorful than the store roasted birds. Sorry Charlie, but if it weren't for the bucket of fat in every bite, I'd say the original recipe is still the best fast food product ever invented!

Monday, May 25, 2009  
Anonymous Al in Socal said...

You know what? I'll be in Kingwood, WV in a couple weeks. Maybe I should try "your side of the Rocky's for KFC? Fact is, it's hard to judge corporate fast food, because some stores are company owned, some are corporate owned, and then you've got the actual manager of the location...... sorry to say it, but SoCal isn't exactly the best place for great fried chicken.

Monday, May 25, 2009  
Blogger Chris James said...

Don't get too excited, Al. A friend from South Jersey told me that, when visiting Huntington, he excitedly drove to Ashland, KY to try some KFC in Kentucky and he said that it tasted the same as back in his stompin' grounds.

You best bet might be to click on the WV hot dog blog or wvhotdogs.com and find a good hot dog joint in or around Kingwood.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home