... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

10 reasons to shop at Julian's Market in Huntington

1. Homemade hummus
2. Homemade andouille sausage
3. Homemade mild Italian sausage
4. Nathan's Famous onion rings in the frozen section
5. Fresh pita bread
6. Excellent fresh ground beef
7. Tons of Middle Eastern spices found nowhere else in town
8. Homemade spicy Italian sausage
9. Homemade baklava
10. Homemade kibbee

Hon. mention: They sell snapper turtle soup in the canned soup isle that contains, you guessed it, snapper turtle.

Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Neurotic Atty said...

11. Lots of great wine, and when you ask Julian for help picking one, he always points out the $11 bottle over the $40 bottle.
12. Chicken salad

Tuesday, May 26, 2009  
Blogger Chris James said...

Ne'er tried their chicken salad. I'll have to give it a go next time I'm there.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009  
Blogger Spike Nesmith said...

I had a baby alligator snapping turtle in my parking lot the other day! If I'd known that there was soup to be made out of them, I wouldn't have let him go!

My first thought was to rescue the poor wee bugger and house him with George the red-eared slider, but turtle expert Mrs Spike told me they's mean sons of bitches.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009  
Blogger tanstaafl said...

She's right, Spike.

You need a two and a half foot section of thin wood. Poke it at the lil feller's snout and let him take a good bite. Pick him up whilst he ahold of that stick and put him where you want until you want to make that soup.

And at this point I'll turn you back to the chef, who actually does the cookin of that rascal.

You there, Emeril?

Tuesday, May 26, 2009  
Blogger Spike Nesmith said...

hahaha!! No, he was just a baby. Teeny-wee. Not even the size of a cookie! Maybe he would have made a spoonful of soup, but not much more.

We picked him up from the back of his shell (out of snapping range, we know this from George) and put him down on the grass so he wouldn't get run over. I figure he made his own way home because he had gone by the time I got back from work.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009  
Blogger Chris James said...

It doesn't help make the soup any more appetizing for me that snapper turtles often live in and around cesspools, cow ponds, and other shit-heavy bodies of water.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009  
Anonymous Colleen K said...

You had me at homemade andouille sausage. I think I smell a roadtrip from Athens.
And as for Casa, it is one of those places that is worht hte trip to eat there.
Also making it worth the trip are the strange and sometimes delicious home-flavored vodkas. We're talking ginger, pepper, bacon, and whatever else is in season. Some drinks are great: The Grass stain with cucumber vodka and pineapple juice comes to mind.
Thanks for reading the blog. I'm really enjoying yours!

Wednesday, May 27, 2009  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home