... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Friday, May 01, 2009

Fast Food Review: The Pita Pit

The Pita Pit, located on the 1200 block of 4th Ave in Huntington, has been around for quite some time and I've always meant to check it out. Numerous lame excuses, however, have kept me from going (too far from downtown during my lunch break, too lazy in the evening, too cheap to feed a meter, etc.). Well, after hearing a rather heated argument between a couple of friends about the merits of the place (one said it was where Jesus will go for His falafel on His return; the other kept calling it "The Arm Pit"), I figured that I'd have to check the place out for myself and see what all of the hubbub was about.

I went with my wife and parents on a recent Saturday and noticed that the place was moderately busy for a weekend lunch service. My parents both ordered Philly cheese steak pitas, while my wife got a chicken Caeser. I opted for the hummus pita and had them load it up with sprouts, black olives, cucumber, spinach, and tzatziki.

We all agreed that the ingredients were fresh, especially the pita bread, which was of a higher quality than could be found at any area grocer, save Julian's Market (aka Mansour's). The carnivores in my party also agreed that the price, around $6 per sandwich, while a bit more than what they would usually pay for a lunch sammy, was fair for the quantity of meat and that they left the joint quite full. I, on the other hand, thought that the price was a bit high for my veggie pocket and I found myself a bit hungry after a couple of hours. That said, I knew what I was getting into when I had to be Mr. Trendy McHippiepants and order no meat.

While I can't say that The Pita Pit is a tremendous value for the money or is a revolution in sam'mich making, I can say that it would be a good place to pick up lunch from time to time when one is craving something fresher than BK or hot dogs but doesn't want to bother with a sit-down restaurant.

Overall, I think that both of my friends were wrong. While I suspect that the Son of Man might have more pressing issues that eating here, it certainly doesn't deserve any derisive names referencing unpleasant body parts.

I give Pita Pit 3.75 out of 5 Thank Yous from One's Digestive System.

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Neurotic Atty said...

My one complaint about the Pita Pit is that when they do party trays, they're very stingy with the meat. Tons of lettuce, but little meat.

Friday, May 01, 2009  
Blogger Chris James said...

I need to go to law school. All the party trays that I see consist of cubed bologna w/ pretzel sticks as toothpicks.

Friday, May 01, 2009  
Blogger All Click said...

Yer I'm with you on the price. It's just a bit much for a thin pita and some meat and cheese. I don't really get a whole load of veggies but they never knock the price down.

Saturday, May 02, 2009  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home