... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

...ASAT's Top Ten Favorite Current TV Shows

1. House-Doctors often complain about how unrealistic this show is, but I really don't care what they have to say about non-health related issues (go whine to your Lexus, I say). The show has the best plot twists and turns and is doing a pretty good job of tackling heavy concepts like depression, suicide, and drug addiction.
2. 30 Rock-Although the show is squarely aimed at folks living on the coasts, the level on comedy on the show is soooo much higher than anything else right now that the occasional pretentiousness is forgivable.
3. The Mentalist-It is basically House with detectives and more popcorn. Simon Baker and Tim Kang both deserve and Emmy noms.
4. The Simpsons-Family Guy fans can hate all that they want, but the show is still the best animated offering on TV. The writers still have everyone else beat for holding a mirror to American culture in a manner that doesn't seem dated a few years later (like South Park).
5. Dexter-Moral gray area aside, it is one of the better crime drama/mystery shows of the decade, although I hope that the fatherhood storyline doesn't get too stupid.
6. Top Chef-This is by far my favorite reality show, not so much for the contestants as for the food. Although I'm still miffed about last season's winner, I still can't wait for the next batch of shows (and for the upcoming Top Chef: Masters spin-off).
7. Friday Night Smackdown-'Cause sometimes I just gotta let the brain go into autopilot.
8. Southland-The show does a great job of how real people (LAPD cops and detectives) react in the face of a bureaucratic juggernaut. Look for Michael Cudlitz to get an Emmy nomination at some point during the show's run, assuming that it survives the Friday night death slot.
9. The Colbert Report-In comparison to The Daily Show, the student has become the master.
10. Medium- I like my large-breasted psychic shows to be at least somewhat coherent (I'm looking at you, Ghost Whisperer).

Hon. Mention-How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory, The Tudors, NCIS

Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Wabi-Sabi said...

You need to check out Burn Notice. It's really good.

Tuesday, June 09, 2009  
Anonymous Muze Euterpe said...

House ..... MMMmmmmmmm!

Tuesday, June 09, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a fan of The Mentalist too.

Tuesday, June 09, 2009  
Blogger Damon said...

Looks like Medium is being dumped by NBC. Hopefully it will be picked up by another network. That and Breaking Bad have been my two favorites since the Shield and BSG ended.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009  
Blogger Chris James said...

CBS is already running adverts for Medium.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009  
Blogger Marbele mark said...

I agree, The Simpsons is still one of the best current tv shows. I like some of the new ones coming up too but I don’t watch them as regularly as I watch The Simpsons.

Sunday, November 02, 2014  
Blogger dennymour said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Friday, November 28, 2014  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home