... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Top 10 Seafood Items

In honor of Hoyt's recent Donutbuzz Elimination Tournament relating to seafood, here is my personal ranking of my ten favorite aquatic snacks.

1. Raw oysters (but only near the coasts) w/ hot sauce.

2. Pacific Northwest wild-caught smoked salmon. Save the farm-raised and/or Atlantic stuff for a covered dish dip, give me the good stuff or nothing at all.

3. Beer batter fish & chips, soaked in malt vinegar and served with Heinz ketchup.

4. Grilled salmon, seasoned with sea salt and fresh black pepper if the fish is high-quality or some sort of sweet 'n spicy glaze if I'm eating out of a freezer or at a chain restaurant.

5. Tuna tacos. Made like regular tacos, only made with canned tuna (preferably in oil, not water). Both delicious and hilarious.

6. Shrimp (any way). If tuna is the "chicken of the sea," then shrimp is the pork of the ocean, as they are awesome no matter how you make 'em. Srlsy, short of leaving them out in the sun, you really can't screw them up too bad.

7. Sushi rolls. I prefer smoked salmon w/ avocado and raw tuna (unless said tuna is stringy) w/ cucumber.

8. Maryland blue crab. Serve 'em up as crab cakes or a soft-shell crab sam'mich. When in the Old Line State, I ain't picky.

9. West Virginia trout, breaded 'n fried w/ lemon pepper. The further upstream you go in one of the tributaries of the Gauley River, the better.

10. Lox & cream cheese on a bagel. OK, I lied. I sometimes like Atlantic salmon, but only before 10 AM.

Hon mention: oysters Rockefeller, catfish po'boys, crawfish made in crab boil, steamed mussels in cream sauce w/ linguine
.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Paul Higginbotham said...

Nice list, but no lobster? I could eat my weight in it.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009  
Blogger Chris James said...

I once saw on episode of Iron Chef where they killed some 30 year-old lobsters and that killed whatever affection I had for the slightly over-sweet, very over-priced flesh.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009  
Blogger Vincetastic said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009  
Anonymous Hoyt said...

I love lobster, but if I were forced to choose among all those listed, it's shrimp. The jumbo oxymoron kind. 8)

Wednesday, June 03, 2009  
Blogger Chris James said...

Vince: Much like lobster, I find scallops to be a bit too sweet for my tastes. As for your site, I'll get around to checking it out, but I really need to check one more thing online like Lincoln needed those play tickets. Maybe we should talk to congress about adding a 25th hour. :)

Hoyt: When talking jumbo shrimp, I go for those coconut shrimp at Red Lobster. Hmm, that gives me an idea for a couple more lists...

Thursday, June 04, 2009  
Blogger Chris James said...

Here is the deleted comment from above, to which I replied, with the spammish portion rmvd:

Vincetastic said...

Hey Chris, this top ten list is fantastic. Fish/Tuna Tacos are one of my favorites. This is a solid list with some good picks, can't really argue with them. I would add scallops, those dipped in butter are hard to compete with.

Friday, June 05, 2009  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home