... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

2009 Fake Emmy Ballot: Reality Shows

Yet again, I'm writing my votes with crayons on a Planet Hollywood napkin and mailing them to the academy, since they forgot to me mail me my real ballot. This year I'll start at the bottom of the barrel (reality crap) and work my towards the top:

Outstanding Host for a Reality Show or Reality Competition

Tom Bergeron, Dancing with the Stars (ABC)
Phil Keoghan, The Amazing Race (CBS)
Heidi Klum, Project Runway (Bravo)
Padma Lakshmi and Tom Colicchio, Top Chef (Bravo)
Jeff Probst, Survivor (CBS)
Ryan Seacrest, American Idol (FOX)

Although Lakshmi can at times come off as shallower than a kiddie pool, her head-up-her-ass haughtiness is a perfect fit for a show about food that costs $100 per ounce at a fancy restaurant. Colicchio adds to the appeal by being stern, yet likable, and having an expert degree of knowledge for the competition at hand.

Outstanding Reality-Competition Program

The Amazing Race (CBS)
American Idol (FOX)
Dancing with the Stars (ABC)
Project Runway (Bravo)
Top Chef (Bravo)

The Amazing Race is the exact same thing every frickin' season, Idol feels too exploitative, DwtS is for the brain-dead, and I could give a rat's ass about fashion. This leaves Top Chef, where I occasionally learn a thing or two about food.

Outstanding Reality Program

Antiques Roadshow (PBS)
Dirty Jobs (Discovery Channel)
Dog Whisperer (National Geographic Channel)
Intervention (A&E Network)
Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List (Bravo)
MythBusters (Discovery Channel)

Call me a cracker-ass cracker, but I love the Roadshow (although I hate it when they get someone all excited only to use them as an example of what not to bring).

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger All Click said...

The only show I even saw a bit of was American Idol and I'm still shocked that they are paying Ryan Seacrest some ga-zillion dollars to keep hosting it.

I like the Roadshow too. But I'm a dirty Jobs fan.

As reality shows go I prefer Hell's Kitchen and The Next Food network star. Usually chef's aren't appearing because they are just fame/money hungry, but actually have some sort of talent

Tuesday, July 21, 2009  
Blogger Chris James said...

I've never seen The Next Food Network Star, but I do watch Hell's Kitchen. While I get a kick out of Gordo being a total dickhead, there is something staged about the show that I just don't like. It always seems like some of the bad chefs are either actors or patsies and you can tell after a couple of episodes which exec chef had his or her coronation as winner before casting was even finished.

Thursday, July 23, 2009  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home