... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Friday, July 31, 2009

Top Ten Foods for the Grill

1. Ribeye steaks - So fatty, so tender.

2. BBQ chicken - Brined, rubbed, then basted.

3. Ribs - I'm partial to dry-rubbed with a vinegar mop sauce, but I ain't too picky.

4. Corn on the cob - Pull back husks, remove silk, rub with butter, restore husks to their original position, and cook over direct heat 'til the husks have pretty much burned up.

5. Salmon fillets - Season well and add some wet wood chips to the coals for flavor.

6. Beer can chicken - Pretty much what it says: a can of beer up the chicken's butt and cooked over indirect heat (although I prefer Coca-Cola for the liquid)

7. Chopped pork - Put a Boston pork butt on indirect heat with some seasoning and smoking chips. When finished, chop it up and add a mustard-vinegar bbq sauce and make sam'miches with the meat and some slaw.

8. Hamburgers - Duh. Just make sure that the ground beef isn't too fatty or too lean.

9. Sausages - Brats, metts, Italian, or hot links: it all = delicious

10. Hot dogs - Although I prefer mine to be flash-boiled or cooked inside, I still can dig outdoor grill dogs as long as they aren't burnt and proper toppings are available.

Hon mention: yellow squash, bone-in pork chops, soft-shell crab

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Paul Higginbotham said...

Excellent list.

I made a pork shoulder a couple of weeks ago. I usually do it a few times a year. I use nothing but hardwood and smoke it for about 8 hours. It doesn't get any better.

Friday, July 31, 2009  
Blogger Chris James said...

Sounds good. I'm waiting for that oak tree a few houses down to drop another limb (hopefully not on my car) so I can swipe some of it for my smoker.

Friday, July 31, 2009  
Blogger moneytastesbad said...

On 4th of July I did a 12 hour smoke session. Oh, and I cooked on the grill too.

I made Brisket (started at 5:30 AM) then around 1 PM I started 2 racks of Baby Backs. Dinner was around 6:30, and if I do say so myself, it was awesome

Friday, July 31, 2009  
Blogger Chris James said...

I did a 12 hour "smoke" session on July 4th, 2000.

I was in Amsterdam...

Tuesday, August 04, 2009  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home