... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Fake 2009 Emmy Awards Ballot: Lead Actors & Actresses

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series

* Simon Baker, The Mentalist
* Gabriel Byrne, In Treatment
* Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad
* Michael C. Hall, Dexter
* Jon Hamm, Mad Men
* Hugh Laurie, House

Baker is quite charming as Patrick Jane, but for this year my fake vote has to go to Hugh Laurie. He has been overdue for an award for Dr. Greg House and this season his portrayal of a strong-willed, ego-driven loner finally being brought to his knees by drug addiction is TV drama at its most powerful.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series

* Glenn Close, Damages
* Sally Field, Brothers & Sisters
* Mariska Hargitay, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
* Holly Hunter, Saving Grace
* Elisabeth Moss, Mad Men
* Kyra Sedgwick, The Closer

Hargitay has turned Olivia Benson from an unsympathetic CopBot 2000 into a real and complex character with depth and breadth in spite of some of the material that she gets dumped in her lap.

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series

* Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
* Steve Carell, The Office
* Jemaine Clement, Flight of the Conchords
* Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory
* Tony Shalhoub, Monk
* Charlie Sheen, Two and a Half Men

I like Alec Baldwin in everything and I would have probably voted for Bret McKenzie if he had received FotC's nomination, but I give the nod to Jim Parsons. The socially ignorant super-genius Sheldon Cooper is quite simply one of the funniest characters on TV in many, many years.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series

* Christina Applegate, Samantha Who?
* Toni Collette, United States of Tara
* Tina Fey, 30 Rock
* Julia Louis-Dreyfus, The New Adventures of Old Christine
* Mary-Louise Parker, Weeds
* Sarah Silverman, The Sarah Silverman Program

Tina Fey is the funniest person in America and stars in the funniest show on TV. 'Nuff said.
.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree totally with your choices. I hope the academy will see it the same way. The leading male in a drama is the only category where I'd be happy if any of them won, but I think Laurie and possibly Hall deserve it the most.

Tuesday, September 08, 2009  
Blogger Buzzardbilly said...

You crushed my hopes that this would be the year that Michael C. Hall finally gets recognized for his work on Dexter!

From the looks of the trailers for the new season, maybe this season will be even better than the last. (I found the Jimmy Smits character a bit of a letdown when compared with the evil chick from last year; this year the evil will come from John Lithgow; nobody tops John Lithgow, except maybe Tina Fey, but she can't do both comedy and evil).

Tuesday, September 08, 2009  
Blogger Chris James said...

Thanks, Anon. I'd be happy if Hall won, too.

BB, I like Smits in general, so I enjoyed his turn as a wannabe-Dexter with the full power of the law at his back. As for the "pardon my tits" British woman, I found her to be nothing more than that crazy skank ex that every guy has had (although they usually just murder a goldfish rather than the guy you're trying to frame as a serial killer). That said, I think that Lithgow has the potential to be the best villain on the show so far. I can't wait.

Wednesday, September 09, 2009  
Blogger All Click said...

Dude, how do you manage to watch ALL these programs! I thought I watched a lot of TV. Then again, I intentionally stay away from some of these.

Hugh Laurie is due for an award..but I agree with Michael C. Hall too.

Wednesday, September 09, 2009  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home