Fake 2009 Emmy Awards Ballot: Lead Actors & Actresses
* Simon Baker, The Mentalist
* Gabriel Byrne, In Treatment
* Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad
* Michael C. Hall, Dexter
* Jon Hamm, Mad Men
* Hugh Laurie, House
Baker is quite charming as Patrick Jane, but for this year my fake vote has to go to Hugh Laurie. He has been overdue for an award for Dr. Greg House and this season his portrayal of a strong-willed, ego-driven loner finally being brought to his knees by drug addiction is TV drama at its most powerful.
Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
* Glenn Close, Damages
* Sally Field, Brothers & Sisters
* Mariska Hargitay, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
* Holly Hunter, Saving Grace
* Elisabeth Moss, Mad Men
* Kyra Sedgwick, The Closer
Hargitay has turned Olivia Benson from an unsympathetic CopBot 2000 into a real and complex character with depth and breadth in spite of some of the material that she gets dumped in her lap.
Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series
* Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
* Steve Carell, The Office
* Jemaine Clement, Flight of the Conchords
* Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory
* Tony Shalhoub, Monk
* Charlie Sheen, Two and a Half Men
I like Alec Baldwin in everything and I would have probably voted for Bret McKenzie if he had received FotC's nomination, but I give the nod to Jim Parsons. The socially ignorant super-genius Sheldon Cooper is quite simply one of the funniest characters on TV in many, many years.
Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series
* Christina Applegate, Samantha Who?
* Toni Collette, United States of Tara
* Tina Fey, 30 Rock
* Julia Louis-Dreyfus, The New Adventures of Old Christine
* Mary-Louise Parker, Weeds
* Sarah Silverman, The Sarah Silverman Program
Tina Fey is the funniest person in America and stars in the funniest show on TV. 'Nuff said.