... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Thursday, September 03, 2009

Rubbed Flat Iron Steak

Kroger has recently been selling flat iron steak (a tender, tasty, and inexpensive butcher's cut of beef) at $3.99 a pound, which is as cheap as I have ever seen it (it is usually $5.99-ish), so I snapped up a larger steak this weekend and grilled it up for dinner yesterday.

After reading some stuff online, I decided to make a more complicated rub than my usual salt 'n pepper blend. In addition to the kosher salt and fresh black pepper, I added fresh crushed garlic, onion powder, and brown sugar.



I rubbed the steak with some extra virgin olive oil and the rub and let it marinate for a couple of minutes while the George Foreman Grill warmed up.



After America's favorite indoor grill was good and hot, it was time to cook the meat.



After cooking any meat it is a good idea to let it rest for a while before putting the knife to it.



I carved this steak thinly and at a 45 degree angle. This allowed for more aesthetically pleasing and easier to manage cuts of meat as opposed to the thick perpendicular slices I've tried in the past.



I drizzled the slices with some more olive oil and served them with oven roasted beets my wife had made and some store-bought garlic bread from the previous night's pasta.



I really like this rubbed version of the flat iron steak. The onion powder and garlic gave the steak an extra level of flavor and the brown sugar gave the beef a nice char without making it too sweet or dry. The angled cuts helped to tenderize the beef (I don't think I'll slice flat iron steak any other way from now on). The beets were also a nice accompaniment in therms of taste and color and offered a refreshing break from the usual potato. My only regret is not having some better bread.

I give it 4.5 out of 5 Aaron Coplands (after a half-point deduction for recycled bread that wasn't that good anyway).
.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Paul Higginbotham said...

I'm torn between two possible comments to this post:

1. (The obvious) You wasted a good cut of meat like that on a Foreman grill?!? Mix in some charcoal.

2. (The depressing) Wow. I can't remember the last time my steak was rubbed.

Thursday, September 03, 2009  
Blogger Chris James said...

No time on a weekday with two kids under 5 to fire up the grill. Maybe Labor Day...

Friday, September 04, 2009  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home