... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Friday, October 02, 2009

Homemade Pizza Sauce

All this summer a friend has been bringing me bags and bags of her homegrown Roma tomatoes (my favorite variety) and we've used them mainly to make tomato bread or to liven up jars of pasta sauce. Since my wife makes a killer pizza crust, I think it'd be a good idea to use some of the tomatoes to make a pizza sauce from scratch. Pizza sauce freezes quite well, so if I pull this off, we should be stocked up for a couple of months.

When dealing with any produce, you want to give it a good rinse to remove any dirt, fertilizer, or pesticide that might have clung to the skin:



I have to remove the skins. This is a bit tedious, but the tomatoes are rather ripe and skin comes off easily:



I cut them in half:



Scoop out the rib and seeds (nothing goes to waste, I load them in a mesh baby feeder and let my tomato-loving 10 month-old have a healthy lunch):



The tomatoes are now cleaned and ready to process:



I give them a couple rounds of dicing:



Meanwhile I brown about half of a white onion and 13 (yes, that many) cloves of fresh crushed garlic:



I'm now ready to crush the maters with a plastic potato masher (crappy for potatoes, but great for veggies and beans):



All crushed and ready for action:



I then add the garlic and onions with some kosher salt, fresh black peeper, sugar, dried rosemary, dried oregano, fresh basil, and a bay leaf and let it simmer in the crock pot on low for several hours:



It has reduced by somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 and is dark red and has a complex taste:



I put the finished product in the freezer and wait a few days, as most Italian red sauces taste better after a little bit of storage. I top a pizza crust with the sauce, some mozzarella, more fresh basil, chorizo sausage, and some homemade roasted garlic (more on that in a future post):



Twenty minutes later, we are in pizza heaven:



It is a long and tedious process, but the end results are totally worth the effort. It tastes sooo much better than store-bought pizza sauce and has no funky preservatives or additives.

My guess is that this two month supply will last about three weeks.

4.5 out of 5 Smithers, West Virginias.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Sean said...

Looks/Sounds delicious...

2 things.
1. How much tomatoes did you use to the onion/garlic amounts described

&

2. Tell me more about this pizza crust

Sunday, October 04, 2009  
Blogger Chris James said...

I rarely cook precisely, but I think it was about 15-20 or so Romas. As for the pizza crust recipe, I'll have the Mrs. dig up the link.

Monday, October 05, 2009  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home