... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Roasting Garlic at Home

We always buy our garlic at Sam's Club. For the price of two bulbs at WalMart or Kroger, you can get a whole sleeve @ da club that contains as many as 10 heads. The only problem with this arrangement is that we end up tossing out a lot of garlic when the expiration date comes up. Well, as the chuck-by date came up on yet another batch, I'm looking up ways to preserve as much garlic as possible. After discovering that homemade garlic oil is a recipe for botulism, I opt to roast and freeze the balance of garlic in the house.

The first step is to cut the tops off of each bulb, making sure that each clove is exposed. Then dip the bulbs in olive oil or, if you are just doing one or two, drizzle them with the oil.



Put them in an oven @ about 400°F for ~35 minutes. I use a convection oven, but gas would work just fine.



Finally I pop the roasted cloves out of the skin and put them in a storage container right away. Again, garlic + oil can = botulism if not properly stored.



So far, I've tried them on corn chips, in salsa, in burritos, and in mashed potatoes and they provide each dish with a sweet and creamy garlic zing without overpowering any of the other flavors. I can strongly recommend trying this at home the next time you are faced with a "too much garlic" dilemma.
.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Buzzardbilly said...

My husband would love that. He thinks there is no such thing as too much garlic in any dish. Unfortunately, he likes to breathe right in my face as he sleeps and no toothepaste really kills the garlic smell because he eats so much of it. I'm hiding any knowledge of this from him for self-preservation.

Wednesday, October 07, 2009  
Blogger Wade D. Drasch said...

Damn that sounds good. I love me some garlic.

Wednesday, October 07, 2009  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home