... A Sour Apple Tree

Your source for fast and/or frozen food reviews, Huntington and/or West Virginia commentary, rasslin' (not wrestling) nostalgia, bad parody, dumb satire, rejected slogans, pointless lists, unreliable sports predictions, and funny local pictures.

Name:
Location: Huntington, WV, United States

I'm a 37 year-old guy from Huntington, WV.

Monday, March 15, 2010

Frozen Food Review: Healthy Choice Tortellini Primavera Parmesan

In order to get the word out about some of their new frozen offerings, Healthy Choice recently shipped me some free samples of frozen meals to taste and review. First up is the Tortellini Primavera Parmesan.

First, I nibble on a sauce-covered carrot that proves to be rather crisp, especially for a frozen entrée. The sauce has a nice “spring”-like taste to it and the red peppers are employed properly. The zucchini is also a nice touch. That being said, it could use a touch more salt, heat, and garlic to go with the veggies.

The tortellini is a little on the doughy side, but they do have nice flavors (by frozen food standards), on the inside and, when taken together with some of the sauce and vegetables, the stuffed pasta delivers a pleasant hit of cheese in a full bite.

This dish is not ground breaking Italian cuisine by any means and it can grow a tad bit bland after several bites, but it is not a disappointing or wasted lunch by any means.

One final plus about this grub is that I certainly feel like I’ve eaten a healthy portion of vegetables with my lunch. I rarely get that feeling with my usual lunchtime options.

Random note: it pairs well with Mountain Dew Throwback.

3.5 out of 5 Warm Spring Rains, including a bonus half-point for making me eat 2.5 servings of veggies in one meal.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous larry digs the free said...

free food? hell i'd give it a 5 outta 5 anyday....just for the free-ness factor. i once rubbed 12 cans of snuff cause some guy at a festival booth gave them to me for free. shocking, huh?

Monday, March 15, 2010  
Blogger Chris James said...

I once had what I still call "Redman Month" after visiting Court Day in Mt. Sterling, KY one year.

Thursday, March 18, 2010  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home